I am setting all that read this a challenge.
Perform all the following Dog Duties every day for 31 Days. It doesn’t matter when you read this just do them all every day for 31 straight days. It may be tough or maybe not, but if you can stick with it I guarantee you will have a happier and better behaved Dog. You will also have a tremendous sense of accomplishment. It’s a month out of a lifetime so no excuses, get to it.
- Smile. Owning a Dog is a privilege and never forget that.
- Give your Dog a bone. Give your Dog a bone every day. If money is tight buy a few really big bones and let it chew on it for a while every day. I wrote about bad Dogs breath and how bones can really help solve the problem. Our Dogs have gleaming white teeth without a hint of discolouration. Try it for a month and see how clean your Dogs teeth become. Raw Meaty Bones is a must read for all Dog owners. A bone will keep your Dogs teeth clean and will also keep them occupied and quiet for many an hour.
- Get on the floor and play with your pooch. Great fun for all and will bring a smile to the grumpiest of grumpies in grumpy land.
- Brush your Dog. Doesn’t have to be for long. Even five seconds will be better than nothing. Your Dogs coat will look amazing in a months time and you will have less hairs to clean up.
- Use a new nickname for your Dog. Call the little bone muncher something different every day. Write it down and in a month see what you came up with. You now have a free idea for a blog post in a months time or a fun email to send to your friends. Don’t forget to give the pooches of doom some credit though.
- Praise your Dog for every action it performs well. A bit of praise goes a long way to encouraging the behaviour you want from your Dog. Lavish the praise on the good behaviour and see how much better your Dog behaves in a months time.
- Stick your tongue out at your Dog. Why not? Makes me smile.
- Tickle your Dog behind the ears. Our girls love a good old ear rub. If your Dog doesn’t like it then tickle someone else behind the ears. Best if you do both though.
- Discourage bad behaviour. Keep on top of bad behaviour and keep telling your Dog NO when it does something wrong. Repetition is the key with getting your Dog to behave perfectly.
- Sing a little song. Make up a little song as you go about your daily business and sing to your Dog. Watch the little Doggies head wiggle from side to side as it wonders what the hell you are doing you loon!
- Walk your Dog twice a day no matter what. No excuses whatsoever. If your leg falls off then get someone to do it until you feel a bit better! Dogs need exercise and plenty of it. If you do this religiously your Dog will be so much better behaved you will not believe it.
- Learn a new Dog fact everyday. My 36 unusual Dog facts post is a good place to start. Start at the top and stop reading when you get to one you don’t know. Come back the next day and carry on. If you run out then search for your own. Again a great idea for a blog post or fun email.
- Put a little bit of change aside. In 31 days you will have enough to buy your Dog a little treat. Hopefully via this link. This site doesn’t pay for itself so any help is appreciated.
- Read a Dog Blog. Check out a Dog Blog everyday. Mix it up and have some fun. Of course in an ideal world you would just read a post on my Blog everyday. There are lots you know!
- Be cool as a cucumber. I am, you know, too cool for school! Be the same. Stay calm when things don’t go perfectly. Dogs are never going to do exactly as you want. Don’t shout, just take control in a calm manner. After a month you will have lowered your blood pressure!
- Comment on this Blog. Leave a comment on this Blog everyday. Sigh! I can only dream. I love comments and it helps to keep me motivated. Posts like this take hours out of my day. It encourages me to continue when people leave kind comments. Do your best and help keep me motivated.
- Make a funny noise to your Dog. They love odd noises and again, watch their heads wiggle and their ears go bonkers. Aah, hours of fun.
- Tell your Dog that Dogs are better than Cats, this one really is a no-brainer!
- Spend some quality time with your Dog. Again, absolutely no excuses. If your arms fall off then cuddle with your feet! Dogs are very sociable animals and love having a fuss. However pushed you are for time, tough. You decided to be responsible for a Dog so treat it with respect and show the love. How much more of a bond do you think you will forge in a month if you consistently affirm your love for the little poochie woochie.
- Do NOT give in to begging. Don’t even once give in and give your Dog a scrap etc because it is looking at you with those oh so mournful eyes. Your Dogs behaviour will be vastly improved and I guarantee that it will not take a month before the little scrap scoffer gives up and goes off to do something better instead. Trust me on this one. If you can stop your Dog from begging your life will be vastly improved and your Dog will be healthier.
- Look at your Dog properly. We see things so often we never actually look at them properly. Actually look at your Dog like you are looking at it for the first time and wondering whether or not to take it home. Is it overweight, does it have sore ears, how are its teeth? Look properly and act accordingly. You may need to cut back on it’s food or give it a flea treatment, when was your Dog last wormed?
- Save some change every day for me The Three Dog Blogger. Save more for the Dog but save a few pennies for me. In a month you can email me and ask me if I would like it sent via cheque or whatever. Again, this post is taking hours and I have to pay to run this Blog. I’m just messing but on the other hand………..
- Moo Moo. That’s right make a cow noise to your Dog. Why not? It only takes the time it takes to say “mooooooooooooooooooooooo, moooooooooooooooooooooooooo”
- Change anything you don’t like. If you have fallen in to the gradual trap of letting your Dog do things you would really rather it didn’t then change it. I have. The Dogs on furniture was getting way out of hand so I changed what I didn’t like. In a month all will be done and you have the rest of your life with your Dog to feel smug about all the work you did for 31 days.
- Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam. Dream, dream, dream, dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaam. Remember all the good times. Think of all the great times you have had with your Dog. Sometimes it is easy to forget when your Dog has just eaten about a million pairs of shoes!
- Praise your Dog with a made up word. My doggeriffic doggonedogsters love being praised. They don’t care if I make up the words, they just want the love. Write the word down each day and again in a month you have a blog post or an email to send your friends.
- Tell your Dog off. This one is probably a given. If your Dog doesn’t do anything at all unfavourable then you are in a very elite club in dogland.
- Don’t stress it. If you are running late and little poochie will be trying to hold it in back home or you will be late fixing the bone munchers meal, don’t stress about it. Life is too short. Accept the consequences and move on. What’s a little puppy present on the kitchen floor between friends. Be the coolest dude in cool town.
- Write a talking Dog story. Even if you write one word a day you can still have a little story at the end. Again, a free blog post or something to send to your friends (who will probably end up getting annoyed with all the “hilarious” stuff you will be sending them)!
- Belly rub. You know it makes sense.
- Another belly rub. This is tough to think up you know! Anyway the little Dude deserves more than one. Good Doggy!
Don’t ask me to write posts like this too often!
Give this a serious go though. At the end of the month you will have a much more harmonious time with your Dog.
You will have curbed a lot of unwanted behaviour, given the Dog a lovely treat and 29 other things will have been accomplished as well.
Good luck my friends and may the Doggie force be with you.
Just curious. How does the Amazon link work. If I follow your link to Amazon can I get anything or only the stuff you link to. I say this b/c I buy tons of household goods from Amazon. Saves my butt when I don’t have time to run errands. If I follow your link and then buy laundry detergent does that help? Or is it only the dog treats and such?
Nice write up!! I love how you always have a good long read ahead of you when visiting the threedogblog 🙂
Taris Janitens’s last blog post..Blog Contest NUMBER TWO: A Referral Contest!! $175 PLUS Blog reviews
Just told my three pooches about your 31 things to do. They think it’s all good except #20. They insist that they don’t do this very often, so they should get a pass on that one.
Many thanks for your question and the offer of helping. If you follow a link from my site to Amazon then anything you buy on that day regardless of what it is means I get a small commission.
It would be fantastic if you made all your Amazon purchases by first clicking on one of my links. I wish everyone could be as kind. Every little helps and it does add up. Even if I just make a few dollars a month at least it means the hosting of the site is paid for.
All the best from The Three Dog Blogger.
Use your judgement on this one, but don’t give in to their demands:)
Follow them all and see what happens.
All the best.
Good to see you back here for 2009. Lets hope it is a good year for all of us.
Dog owners should be doing all these things regardless. It is good to remind people that their pooches are just like humans and not just an animal.
Thanks for commenting. But that’s the point. We all end up taking things for granted and forget to be thankful for what we have.
I also think it is important to remember that we should smile more and have a bit of fun.
Number 17. Hahahah!
Reminds of when I play with my sister’s dog. Sometimes I talk to her in a loud voice, pretending to speak Japanese. (Shi-Ju Hi-Yo Ho-Ji!!!)
Every time I do that, the dog gets confused. She wags her tail, puts her paws around my neck, and starts kissing me.
Almost as if to reassure me, that calm down, Uncle Friar. Everything’s gonna be all right.
I love to mess with them like that. 🙂
Talking made up Japanese, that’s a classic!
This is such a great post, as most dog owners don’t realize that they’re training their dogs everyday, just by interacting with them. #6 is the perfect example of this. By rewarding good behavior on a consistent basis, your dog will get used to acting in a way that you want him to.
Aggressive Dog’s last blog post..Different Types of Aggressive Behavior in Dogs
Try a different sound that doesn’t resemble a bark
All the best my frend