I was pondering this earlier and it brought up some interesting questions.
Do Dogs Have Souls?
Looking in to the eyes of my three little bone munchers it would be tough to believe that when they go that it is it. On the other hand it is, of course, partly down to whether we even believe in the concept of a soul at all.
I am not a religious person but I believe there is such a thing as a soul. I certainly believe that the inner core of a person continues after death. The essence of a person can not be annihilated by the end of the body. Or so I believe.
If I believe in a soul then do I believe in a soul for animals?
To be honest it has opened up a whole can of worms. I look at the pooches and I must say I do believe they have souls.
- Such innocence is behind those eyes.
- They act naturally and in accordance with the natural balance of the world.
- Dogs are forever loving and giving.
- Pure of heart and followers of the path of nature.
- They are not corrupted by the trappings of wealth and one upmanship.
- Dogs understand many of the emotions we feel and I know I have observed them going through various emotions themselves.
This leads me to what these ponderings have raised.
I used to be a vegetarian for about 12 years but then I began to eat meat again. I now eat meat often, I have raised and slaughtered my own Chickens (not nice) and don’t really have many qualms about eating meat apart from the conditions the animals are raised in.
Now, if we believe Dogs have souls, do all other animals? Is it just animals with high sentience or is it all living things?
If other animals have souls then is it right to eat them? Is there a difference between eating a Cow or a Dog? Pigs are supposed to be much more intelligent than Dogs.
I wish I had never written this now.
Let me know your feelings/thoughts on this. It will be very interesting to see what everyone has to say on the subject.
May the Doggie Force be with you all.