You learn something new every day.
Here are a few unusual Dog Facts. A Big Gold Star to you if you already knew them all.
- The Basenji is the only breed of Dog that cannot bark.
- Dachsunds were first bred to fight Badgers.
- A Dogs heart rate is 70-120 beats per minute.
- The average life expectancy is 15 years.
- Dogs have two times as many muscles to move their ears as humans.
- Dogs Can see in colour and in 2D.
- The Greyhound is the fastest Dog, reaching speeds of 45 mph.
- The oldest officially recorded age of a Dog is Bluey, an Australian Cattle Dog who was 29 yrs 5 months.
- Dalmations are white when born and develop the spots as they age.
- Dogs can be left or right handed.
- All Dogs are descendants of Wolves so they can all mate with each other successfully.
- There are more than 700 breeds of Dogs.
- Dogs can detect Cancer in Humans.
- More money is spent each year on Dog food than Baby food.
- Dogs have less than a fifth of the taste buds of Humans.
- Their nose however is 1 million times more sensitive.
- 1 in 3 have a pet Dog.
- Dogs sweat through the pads in their feet.
- Mixed breed and cross breed are different. Mixed breed is from a various , usually unknown lineage but cross breeds are from only 2 different breeds.
- Never smile at a Dog you believe to be dangerous. It will be seen as baring your teeth in an act of aggression.
- Newfoundlands have webbed feet, making them excellent swimmers.
- Bassets can’t swim.
- There are approx 60 million Dogs in the US.
- Dogs can be trained to sense an oncoming epileptic seizure.
- The largest Dog is the Irish Wolfhound, the smallest is the Chihuahua and the heaviest is the St. Bernard.
- The largest recorded Dog was Zorba an Old English Mastiff, weighing 343 lbs and measuring 8 ft 3 inches.
- The smartest Dog is believed to be the Border Collie closely followed by the Poodle.
- The least intelligent is said to be the Afghan Hound.
- All Dogs have 321 bones and 42 permanent teeth.
- Wolves and Dogs can mate and produce offspring.
- If unspayed and neutered a Female Dog and her mate and pups could produce 66,000 Dogs in 6 yrs.
- A 1 year old Dog is about the equivalent to a 15 year old Human.
- In 2002 in the Us more people were killed by Dogs than by Sharks in the last 100 years.
- Obesity is the number one Dog problem.
- Roughly 1 million Dogs are believed to be the main beneficiary to a Will in the US.
- Dogs are better than Cats!
So who got their Gold Star?
May the Doggie Force be with you all.
Ha, there are definitely some facts I didn’t know in that group. Like, basset hounds not being able to swim? Is that true? Can you teach them?
Oldest dog at 29 years!?!? WOW!!!! Dogs can sense cancer and epileptic seizures?! And that many dogs are the beneficiaries of wills!? I never thought I would hear any of this – great list! 🙂
Taris Janitens’s last blog post..Looking at the Big Picture: Making the Best of What you Have
No gold star for me but I did know most of them. I have seen wildly different statistics for number 31. It depends on which groups, breeders or pro-s/n groups cite them. 🙂
hello three dog blogger its dennis the vizsla dog hay i wood like to challendj the border colleez and poodels to an iq test i just wood ask for a gimmee on the spelling porshun ha ha ok bye
Hey Dennis, I can see you may not win at the spelling but you do seem like a very intelligent Dog.
I mean you can type for a start! I bet not many Collies can do that!
How do they measure dog intelligence and then decide that the Afghan is the least intelligent?
I believe it is from the way they react to training, following commands etc.
I did not get the gold star either. Wow…..Roughly 1 million Dogs are believed to be the main beneficiary to a Will in the US. Amazing!!!
Lindsay NO you can not teach a basset to swim they cant swim because they have to much body and not enough leg length it would be like someone putting the arms and legs of a 1yr old on a grown mans body and asking him to swim ..they SINK